What you do not know cannot possibly hurt you, so goes the saying. This is not the case though when it comes to water. Water provides an environment in which bacteria can thrive and potentially harm your health.
The scary part is you may never even know if the water you are drinking is ridden with harmful bacteria. Harmful bacteria in drinking water pose a serious health risk. The most common disease caused is the simple gastrointestinal problem of diarrhoea. Unfortunately, while gastrointestinal illnesses are not fatal to healthy adults, it can be rather fatal for infants, elderly, or those with immuno-suppression syndromes.
The following are common water borne bacteria that can possibly be in your drinking water:
• Cryptospiridium – This is a single-celled organism that latches onto the intestines and lays its eggs on fecal matter.
• Anabaena sp – It is present in freshwater reservoirs around the globe, most notoriously in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, and Europe. This produces harmful neurotoxins.
• Rotifers – One of the most common water contaminants in the world, this particular microorganism does not pose a threat to health. Unfortunately, its presence usually means that there is a problem with filtration systems.
• E. Coli – While most strains do not pose a threat to humans, there are some that do. These strains produce armful toxins that can cause severe illnesses.
• Legionella Pneumophila – This microorganism has enough potency that made the US military decide to weaponise it. This led to the creation of a genetically modified version that has a 100% kill rate.
• Chaetomium sp – While not particularly dangerous to a person’s health, with constant exposure, it can cause phaeohyphomycosis.
• Salmonella Enterica – Outbreaks of Salmonella in drinking water are a rarity as they are commonly found in spinach, beef, and chicken. Salmonella poisoning causes fever and vomiting.
Even the most stringent filtration and disinfection processes are fallible. Though they indeed get most of the bacteria out, a smaller percentage can still manage to seep through. Noted water filters providers Clean and Clear Purification Specialists explain that the bacteriology of drinking water should be monitored closely to ensure health and safety.
It is imperative today to drink only safe, purified drinking water. This is why families all over the world are now becoming more conscious with their health. Water is essential, but only if it is clean and safe.